CHOOSE THE SECTION OF THE HOUSE!

CHOOSE THE SECTION OF THE HOUSE TO HEAR ME COMPLAIN/ADVISE ABOUT
LIVING ROOM/ACOUSTIC JAM AREA - KITCHEN - BED ROOMS - BATHROOMS - POOL - BACKYARD - FRONT YARD -
Other Crap

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Cooling A Hot Room For Summer


    What are you looking at you ask? It has got to the point where my damn bedrooms are so hot that I have rerouted ducts in the bedroom and master bathroom to over the bed so it doesn't feel like I am sleeping in a sauna. This is a 65 year old house in the south west USA, 4 ton AC unit 1500 sq foot house, my two eastern bedrooms which get a lot of sun are temp measured 5-10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house, that is a lot worse than it sounds when you try to sleep in 80s.

     I've put some baby shade trees on the east wall and a trellis, both rooms have blackout curtains and fans, I also literally as you see have rerouted the master bathroom duct with temporary duct work into the master bedroom, so I can't close my master bath door, but honestly it's helping... a little, and noticeably blows better than the registers from the two rooms that heat up.

      So today after 3 years of misery I decided to go up in the attic myself, an shitty AC guy had been up there and told me everything was "normal", after going up I suspect he didnt go all the way back. Here's what I noticed:

      The very cool rooms in the house, including the master bathroom all have flexible duct work coming off the AC. The bedrooms in question though seem to have solid metal ducting that I suspect has been there since the house was built. I say suspect because that's all I can find, the flex duct clearly doesn't go to the rooms, it seems like solid metal ducting is buried under insulation, I also couldn't say for sure, but some of the insulation felt really cold which made me suspect a leak in the ducts but I couldnt find anything, it's blown insulation which is a pain in the neck when you gotta work in your attic.

    So basically until I fix my ducts and insulation shit I am going to be sleeping in the heat in this hell hole.


No comments:

Post a Comment