CHOOSE THE SECTION OF THE HOUSE!

CHOOSE THE SECTION OF THE HOUSE TO HEAR ME COMPLAIN/ADVISE ABOUT
LIVING ROOM/ACOUSTIC JAM AREA - KITCHEN - BED ROOMS - BATHROOMS - POOL - BACKYARD - FRONT YARD -
Other Crap

Friday, February 15, 2013

How To Build This Patio Set Out Of Wood Pallets


$285 for this patio set vs. $3000!!!!
     So if you have begun a Google search for patio furniture, you have come to the conclusion that outdoor furniture is extremely expensive! For over a year I wanted a good patio set, and wouldn't settle for some of the used ones I was finding on craigslist or garage sales, I was waiting for hefty tax return to pay some hefty money for patio furniture, but low and behold, when my return came it wasn't as much as I thought, and I also had a real issue with spending $3,000 on patio furniture. I mean, where I live it will sit and bake in the sun all year, and eventually get sun burnt to shreds! So instead, I started looking into building my own patio furniture, and started finding some interesting articles on using recycled wood pallets. You can get even more creative and start from scratch wood and build storage cabinets for additional storage if you have a smaller place, but for just a simple build here's my easy steps.

  1. Get the pallets, ideally for free off craigslist. Find out what they were originally used for, if it was food you may want to spray them down with a germ killing spray precautionary. Also pick pallets that are in the best condition possible, that will need little sanding or pulling out of random nails etc. Step on the pallets, sit on them, etc. Remember you are building furniture out them, they need to support your weight!
  2. Lay them out in a dry run fashion to see how you will like the final product arranged.

  3. Buy some paint/primer. I recommend a painter/primer combo to save time. Also pick up your painting supplies and plastic painter sheets to keep paint off your yard. Both links here.

     

4. Paint the pallets, this is the hardest part, keep in mind that the bottom pieces won't be totally seen, so don't kill yourself on getting them completely black or whatever color you choose.
5. Now you can put the pallets together with simple wood glue, or nail them together. If they are older pallets I recommend the wood glue for minimal damage.
6. Ok this is the expensive part, measure the pallets, and buy the appropriate cushion tops, for the smaller pieces I used 4 of these seat cushions below, and for the larger main day bed, I put these two chaise lounge cushions together. So it's 8 small cushions, and 2 chaise total for my project.

  

 7. The cushions will stay there on their own, but if you wish you can use the ties to fasten them, or even apply some Velcro to the bottoms of the cushions and top of the wood.

    Now you've saved the planet recycling, and saved a crap ton of money in the process as well. The patio furniture is not going to be featured in the Sistine Chapel, but it makes great for entertaining company, and the cushions are pretty damn comfortable for you when you want to relax. I will probably add a canopy/cabana to the main piece soon as well. If you enjoyed this article PLEASE PLUS ONE IF WITH GOOGLE or repost on Facebook etc. And of course, also buy stuff from the amazon links, I get a small commission which I will be very grateful to you for!


Here's the demo video:


No comments:

Post a Comment